Apple Chips and Popsicles

>> Wednesday, November 4, 2009

My mission these past few months has been to use up the foods in my freezer and pantry that have been sitting there for way too long.  A couple of weeks ago I used a bunch of red apples and pears to make an apple-pear butter. Last weekend I made a peach butter that didn't quite have the oomph for the hubby as the apple-pear butter, but he ate it nonetheless and all those lovely peaches didn't go to waste. 

I had about 5 granny smith apples and wanted to use them for something stellar.  Memories of a colon cleanse a few years ago came to mind.  The hubby and I tried a 4 day fast (we couldn't make it any longer than that) and lived on juiced fruits and vegetables and a bentonite/psyllium drink 5 times a day.  The fast was actually not that bad.  We felt great during and afterwards and couldn't wait for the new fruit juices we could try ever 4 hours or so.  The best one was granny smith apple juice.  It must have been the lack of food because it tasted like a green apple blow pop.  I just bought a popsicle mold set and thought green apple blowpop popsicles would be delightful.  We juiced all the frozen fruit and filled the molds with the juice and froze. 




These were really good.  Not green apple blow pop good, but we're not in starvation mode so that may have something to do with it.  The hubby was about to throw away all the glorious pulp until I stopped him!  Juicing is such a waste if you don't make use of the pulp.  I threw it all in the dehydrator for about 12 hours and made the best apple chips ever. 


0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP